A synergy of flavours like no other! This avocado caprese builds on the famous combination of tomatoes, basil and soft cheese. The creaminess of avocado is just perfect with the acidity of the tomatoes and Westfalia’s Lemon Flavoured Avocado Oil.
It’s a showstopper
A roasted tomato has a fantastic taste and aroma. The process of roasting them concentrates the flavour so that they are even sweeter. Mixing the roasted tomatoes (and their juices) with more fresh tomatoes, rosemary, basil and the lemony oil together, creates a showstopper. This avocado caprese can be served as a side dish and will definitely be an impressive starter for any table.
Recipe developed for Westfalia Fruit
200 g baby rosa tomatoes, halved lengthwise
100 g cherry tomatoes, halved
large pinch of coarse salt
45 ml (3 tbsp) Westfalia Plain Avocado Oil
45 ml (3 tbsp) Westfalia Lemon Flavoured Avocado Oil
3 large sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves stripped from the stalks
100 g exotic or more cherry tomatoes, quartered
1-2 medium, ripe tomatoes, cut in wedges and then halved
120 g bocconcini, halved or torn; or mozzarella, cubed; or ricotta cheese, crumbled
3 ripe avocados, halved, thinly sliced and fanned
fresh basil leaves
salt and pepper to taste
- Oven-dried tomatoes: Preheat oven to 180 °C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place rosa and cherry tomatoes on the baking tray in a single layer. Sprinkle coarse salt over. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until cooked and almost dried, but still holding their shape.
- Caprese: Place oven-dried tomatoes with any pan juices, avocado oils and rosemary in a bowl and mix through. Add fresh tomatoes and cheese to the oven-dried tomatoes and toss through gently.
- Marinate tomato mixture for about 10-15 minutes.
- Place avocados cut side down on a large platter or individual plates and fan slightly. Top with tomato mixture and fresh basil.
- Season with salt and a grind of black pepper and drizzle with the remaining tomato marinade. Serve as a starter, salad, side dish or part of a feast table.
- Westfalia Garlic Flavoured Avocado Oil will also be delicious in this recipe. Substitute 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the plain avocado oil with garlic-flavoured avocado oil.
- When fresh avocados aren’t available, enjoy the tomato mixture with Westfalia Plain Guacamole.
- The tomato mixture and avocado will be delicious as part of a brunch or breakfast. Enjoy with eggs and toasted ciabatta.
- Try this recipe with any other cheese of your choice, like blue cheese, feta, pecorino or creamy goat’s cheese.