Roasted chicken & two ways to use it
Roasted chicken with honey & balsamic
Roast chicken is such a comforting meal. Use this easy and very flavourful recipe – the combination of balsamic vinegar, honey and lemon with fresh herbs is always a winner. The roasted lemon rind is just so delicious! Use any of the suggested ways below to make the most of any leftover chicken.
Serves 4 – 6
1,5 kg whole chicken or 8 chicken thighs
4-6 medium sweet potatoes, in the skin, sliced
2 large onions, halved and cut into wedges
60 ml (¼ cup) honey
45 ml (3 tbsp) lemon juice
30 ml (2 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
8-10 thin strips of lemon rind, cut with a veggie peeler
80 ml (⅓ cup) strong Rooibos tea
80 ml (⅓ cup) dry white wine or more Rooibos tea
salt and black pepper to taste
10-12 sprigs each rosemary and thyme (or any herbs of your choice)
1. Preheat oven to 180 °C. Place chicken in a large oven dish or roasting pan and arrange sweet potato and onions around it.
2. Mix the remaining ingredients, except the fresh herbs, together in a jug. Season the chicken and pour the mixture over. Arrange the herbs over the chicken and onions and cover dish with foil.
3. Roast chicken for 30 minutes and remove foil. Spoon some of the pan juices over the chicken and veggies and continue to roast without the foil for another 30 minutes. Roast until the chicken is golden brown and cooked, but not dry. Portions will roast for 20 minutes and then another 20 minutes without the foil.
4. Serve with a side dish and salad of your choice, or use as suggested below.
Chicken Caesar salad wrap
125 ml (½ cup) good quality mayonnaise
125 ml (½ cup) sour cream or double thick yoghurt
20 ml (5 tsp) wholegrain mustard
500-750 ml (2-3 cups) shredded leftover chicken
2 handfuls butter lettuce
8 cm piece cucumber, cut into ribbons with a veggie peeler
80 ml (⅓ cup) coarsely grated pecorino or mature cheddar cheese
4 wholewheat wraps
1. Mix mayonnaise, sour cream or yoghurt and mustard together. Stir in the chicken.
2. Arrange lettuce, cucumber, chicken and cheese on warm wraps. Fold wraps over filling and serve immediately.
Thai chicken slaw
125 ml (½ cup) coconut milk
20 ml (4 tsp) peanut butter
7,5 ml (½ tbsp) red Thai curry paste
5 ml (1 tsp) soy sauce
10 ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
½ each small white and red cabbage, finely shredded
¼ cucumber, cut into strips
2 carrots, coarsely grated
½ small pineapple, cubed
500 ml (2 cups) shredded leftover chicken
60 ml (¼ cup) cashew nuts or peanuts
1-2 handfuls whole coriander leaves
1. Dressing: Mix all the ingredients
2. Slaw: Toss all the ingredients together with half of the coriander leaves. Drizzle with some of the dressing and serve with the remaining dressing and coriander leaves.