Cheesy quesadillas with corn
Quesadillas are so much fun to make together! You can literally add anything as a filling, so play around and get a few ingredients together and get quesadilla-ing.
Be creative with your filling options. If it’s going to be a snack (or side dish to a soup – try it, it’s delicious) then cheese and a veggie like tomatoes, corn or spring onions is delicious. If you are enjoying it as a meal, add a protein of your choice like meat, chicken or even tuna to your preference. The options for vegetarian versions are also endless. The important ingredient is the cheese to ‘glue’ the ingredients together and to give that ooey-gooey-goodness that quesadillas are known for. Add ingredients like jalapeños, pesto, gherkins or sun-dried tomatoes for added flavour.
Pan-fried to perfection
A big enough frying pan will be essential for that crispy outside and cheesy inside. Remember not to add any oil when frying these and work over a medium heat. The tortillas just need to crisp up and turn a golden brown, while heating the filling and melting the cheese. So don’t make the pan too hot either, as they should definitely not burn.
Loads of goodness
These Cheesy quesadillas with corn are a family favourite. I developed this recipe for AMC Cookware in 2021 and it’s a popular snack or make them a bit more filling to enjoy as a meal. The combination of sour cream, corn and two cheeses with spring onion packs a flavour punch. Cooked meat like strips of steak, lamb, chicken or bacon is really good and the beauty is that you don’t need a big amount of ingredients to fill many tummies. A combination of mature cheddar and mozzarella is also good, as the cheddar gives flavour, while mozzarella is perfect for melting.
Recipe developed for AMC Cookware
Serves 6 – 8
8 medium-sized wholewheat or multi-grain tortillas
125 ml (½ cup) sour cream
2 slices feta cheese, crumbled
250 ml (1 cup) cooked whole kernel corn (see tip)
500 ml (200 g) coarsely grated mozzarella cheese
1-2 spring onions, sliced
handful fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Place 4 of the tortillas on a wooden board. Divide sour cream between the 4 tortillas and spread evenly.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together. Divide between the 4 tortillas and spread evenly. Top each with another tortilla.
- Heat a large frying pan (AMC 24 or 28 cm Chef’s Pan works really well) over a medium temperature. Fry 1 quesadilla at a time without any oil, until it starts to toast.
- Turn over and fry on the other side until the cheese has just melted and the tortilla is crispy and golden.
- Slice with a pizza cutter or knife. Serve immediately with an accompaniment of your choice, like a tomato salsa, fresh avocado or jalapeño chillies.
- Place corn on the cob with about 125 ml (½ cup) water in a saucepan. Heat over a medium temperature with the lid on and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until just cooked. Or use 250 ml (1 cup) frozen kernel corn, rinsed and patted dry.