Recipe from Make five
Serves 4 – 6
Make this chicken dish for a delicious mid-week family meal. The ingredients are mainly pantry ingredients and these Mediterranean flavours work well with chicken.
15 ml (1 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
8 chicken portions, excess fat removed
2 red onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 each red and yellow peppers, seeded and cut into strips
2 x 410 g tins cherry tomatoes or chopped tomatoes
125 ml (½ cup) chicken stock or rooibos tea
5 ml (1 tsp) sugar
2 bay leaves
8 sprigs fresh origanum
8 sprigs fresh thyme
15-20 olives, pitted and halved
30 ml (2 tbsp) capers (optional)
salt and pepper
handful fresh origanum and thyme leaves
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan and fry chicken until golden brown. Spoon out and drain on paper towel.
2. Sauté onions and garlic until soft. Add peppers and sauté for a few minutes. (Use a AMC 28 cm Chef’s pan)
3. Stir in the remaining ingredients, except the chicken and the handful of fresh herbs. Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Place chicken in the sauce and stir to coat the chicken. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Season to taste.
5. Stir in the fresh herbs and serve on couscous seasoned with more herbs and a little olive oil for extra flavour.
1. Substitute the chicken for white fish fillets. Cook for 20-30 minutes depending on the size and make sure to thaw fillets (if frozen) before use.
2. For a plant-based alternative, omit the chicken and add 2-3 tins of beans, lentils or chickpeas in Step 4. Or add 1-2 cups uncooked brown lentils and simmer in the sauce for 30 minutes.
3. Double the sauce and freeze for a meal at a later stage.