Savoury rice with nuts
Recipe from Make five
Savoury rice can turn a simple piece of chicken or fish into a special meal. Choose any rice you like, although basmati rice is my favourite in this dish, as the aromatic flavours, spices and nuts work very well together. Basmati rice cooks much quicker, than plain white rice.
2,5 ml (½ tsp) caraway seeds
7,5 ml (½ tbsp) cumin seeds
3 cardamom pods, crushed
½ cinnamon stick
20 ml (4 tsp) avocado or olive oil (Westfalia Lemon or Garlic Flavoured Avocado Oil will work well)
3 leeks, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
500 ml (2 cups) uncooked white or brown basmati rice
750 ml (3 cups) weak vegetable or chicken stock
375 ml (1½ cups) water
125 ml (½ cup) orange juice
large handful pomegrante pips or dried cranberries
50 g flaked almonds or pistachio nuts
handful fresh mint leaves
1. Heat a large frying pan (use a AMC Gourmet Roaster) over medium heat and toast spices, without any oil, until aromatic.
2. Add half of the oil and sauté leeks and garlic until soft. Stir in 80 ml (⅓ cup) water and allow to simmer until the water has evaporated. This process enhances the flavour of the spices.
3. Stir in the rest of the oil and rice and sauté for a few minutes. Stir in the stock, water and orange juice and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer white basmati rice for 10-12 minutes or brown basmati rice for 30 minutes or until just cooked, but not too soft.
5. Stir in the pomegranate pips or cranberries, nuts and mint.