Caramelised Pink Lady® Apples with mustard & thyme
Add the sweetness to something savoury
Yes, apple and cinnamon is a well-known combination, but have you tried mustard and thyme with apples before? The fruity, sweet-tart balance of a Pink Lady® Apple is perfect for a savoury dish, especially one where you need a dash of natural sweetness. Meat like pork, chicken or ostrich is delicious when combined with seasonal fruit and some savoury seasonings. Pink Lady® Apples are definitely not only for bakes and puddings, so try these caramelised apple wedges with a juicy piece of meat for a flavourful meal.
Recipe developed for Pink Lady® Apples
15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
2 onions, halved and cut into thin wedges
3-4 Pink Lady® Apples, thinly sliced
15 ml (1 tbsp) soft brown sugar
45 ml (3 tbsp) strong Rooibos tea
15-20 ml (3-4 tsp) wholegrain mustard
10 ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
handful fresh thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soft.
2. Stir in the apples and sauté until they begin to soften.
3. Add sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves.
4. Stir in the tea, mustard, lemon juice, and thyme. Reduce the heat. Continue to simmer until the onions are soft and the apples begin to caramelise. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Serve caramelised apples with pan-fried pork or chicken fillets, fresh rocket in bowls. Or add a starch of your choice, like creamy polenta, risotto, mashed potatoes, or couscous.