Italian berry & cinnamon cake
The recipe comes from a BBC Good Food magazine and I enjoyed it so much, that I just had to share it. I’m using raspberries instead of the original blackberries and even strawberries or blueberries would work well. It’s really easy and perfect for dessert or tea time with ice cream, Greek yoghurt, cream or the very rich, real Italian mascarpone cheese.
140 g (160 ml) castor sugar
140 g ground almonds
140 g (250 ml) self-raising flour
1 extra large egg
5 ml ground cinnamon
10 ml vanilla essence
250 g raspberries
icing sugar and extra cinnamon for dusting
2. Place all the ingredients, except the berries and icing sugar and extra cinnamon, in a mixing bowl and beat well.
3. Spread half the mixture into the prepared tin or pans and flatten lightly with the back of a fork.
4. Layer berries on batter and spoon the remaining batter over, spreading it gently.
5. Place tin on a baking tray and bake for 50-60 minutes for the large cake or 15-20 minutes for the small cakes. It should be golden brown in colour.
6. Leave to cool in the tin. Sieve the icing sugar and cinnamon over just before serving.